Last updated on July 12, 2019
QuickBooks is a renowned software that helps manage everything from account receivables to bank transaction and auto transfers. The application stores all the finances and company data in a single file with the a.QBW extension. The .qbw file is separated into multiple files, and there are no numbers in its expansions. .Qbw file can be copied and imported into another QuickBooks version.
Cannot Communicate with the Company file due to the firewall
The following information is given in the message: “It appears that the QuickBooks software on the following computer (which specifies computer space with QB software) is set to allow shared access in the company file, but your computer “QuickBooks software is unable to communicate with it.” If it is found that the problem may be due to the firewall and the firewall is restructured as Intuit because Intuit does not support firewall or anti-virus programs.
Error details in a multi-user setup
In a multi-user setup, the host computer should have company files and instead of launch, there should be a database management app or a real program. In turn, the problem occurs when the firewall blocks the incoming and outgoing communication with the company file. This also happens after updating, the operating system or the software to the latest version.
What are the Causes of Cannot Communicate with the Company file
• Installed Firewall isn’t set up or properly
installed on the network
• The server that hosts company file has lost connection or shows incorrect configuration settings
• QuickBooks Data Base Server Manager is not running on the server
• Incorrect DNS setting
• .ND file damaged or missing
Due to a firewall error, the company cannot take steps to resolve the file
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks to the latest release
Either the update prompted automatically OR attempted manually
From within QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to the File menu> select the closed company/logoff to close each open company
- Go to File > Exit
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on the desktop > Select Run as administrator
- Choose the Help menu > Select Update QuickBooks > Update Now > Reset Update > then Get Update
- Open the QuickBooks and re-open the update
- If there is a message to install the update> Yes> Restart the computer after installation
- Configure third-party firewalls
Add Exemptions to the firewall Needed by QuickBooks
- Get the dynamic port number for QuickBooks 2019, which is used for the exception of your firewall port from the QB database server manager> Port Manager
- Add firewall port exceptions to QuickBooks from advanced settings and apply new rules to allow connections for selected ports
Note: If you are using multiple year versions of QB, you will need to add each year’s ports
- Add QuickBooks executable files to your antivirus or firewall
This is a series of steps that involves following the exact sequence. You can also contact the AccountPortal team for assistance and can help you execute these steps.
Create network data (nd) file
- The network information or .nd file QB stores information about the computer hosting the company file
- Press the Window key > Type QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Click Add folder – Browse for those that include a company file > Add > Scan
- Verify that .nd files created for each data file
A multiuser environ only one computer should be hosting the company file. Hosting is automatically turned on when scanning for a company file using QBDBMgrN.
Turnoff hosting on all workstations
- QB files> Choose Utilities> Stop Hosting Multi-User Access> Yes
- Hosting on the server computer must turn on
- Open Task Manager > find QBDBMgrN.exe
- Run Windows and type services. msc> OK
- Find the respective QuickBooksDB for different years of QB versions
In the QBDBMgrN.exe line, The entry in the user name should be in accordance with the above versions and the startup type should be set to automatic.
Getting help with AccountsPortal
If you’ve run into deeper trouble or need help with executing the steps above, don’t hesitate to clear all doubts with us. Try to make an exact note of the issue and the error you are facing to explain the problem in a better way along with the list of steps you have already attempted.
Our team has a pool of experienced experts who have been very experienced in solving the most complex issue related to QuickBooks.
Things that you won’t be able to handle on your own can be easily spotted with the right set of tools and expertise at AccountsPortal.
Our advisors will tell you about the steps taken to resolve the cause and the problem.
To resolve a wide range of QuickBooks issues related to installation, upgrading, updating, functional and technical issues, contact QuickBoks support team.
You can also support our round the clock chat or send us an email about the details of the issue and one of our experts will come back with the right solution.